Altamont logo snip.png

Altamont was established in 1848 as the county seat of Grundy County. The first county courthouse, built in 1885, was destroyed in a fire in the 1990s. The brick H.B. Northcutt house on Highway 56 in the center of Altamont was built in 1885 by General Adrian Northcutt, a local farmer and military general who served for ten years in the Tennessee Legislature. Northcutt was responsible for Altamont becoming the county seat. Later on, a descendant of the Northcutt family, Miss Fannie Moffit, a wealthy spinster, moved into the 12-room house. The Fannie Moffitt Autumn Stomp is held in her honor each fall.

Altamont serves as the gateway to the western part of Savage Gulf, the largest park unit of South Cumberland State Park. Highlights within this section of park include Greeter Falls, the Firescald Creek Stone Arch Bridge (listed on the National Register of Historic Places), the site of historic Long’s Mill, and the site of the historic Greeter Homestead. Parking and trailheads for Savage Gulf West / Greeter Falls are located at 550 Greeter Falls Rd, Altamont, TN 37301.