Altamont logo snip.png

In 1904, the Sewanee Coal, Coke & Land Company established the coal mining company town of Coalmont, Tenn. The original town was comprised of approximately 100 company houses along with a company commissary, railroad station and freight depot, barber shop, boarding houses, two-story schoolhouse, two churches, a theater, and a hotel known as the “Wigwam.” The Coalmont Bank Building, built in 1921, is on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the oldest structures remaining in Coalmont. In 2022, the 1,300-plus acre Coalmont OHV Park became the first city-owned OHV park in the state.